5/1/17

To buy or not to buy- the lure of books






Alas, every reader faces this eventually. You're walking down the sidewalk, thinking this, then lo and behold, the bookstore sign magically appears, and you say to yourself "just a peek" and wander in.
2 hours later you wander out with a bag full of books, a depleted wallet, and a dazed expression on your face. 
Well written books are to the reader what nectar is to hummingbirds: sweet, irresistible, and utterly necessary to their survival. 
To quote Thomas Jefferson: "I cannot live without books.". 
Books hold so many benefits,both on the mental level and the physical.
 It has been shown that kids who get a head start in reading have better focus, a larger vocabulary, and can carry on a conversation much better than those who do not.
My own childhood is evidence of this. I struggled the first few years, but after my mom found a book that helped me immensely, I took off. In third grade, I tested at a seventh grade reading level and eighth grade comprehension.
Books help shape who we are, what we become, and how we view the world. It keeps our minds young. They shape our lives.

So I'll end this post with a quote to answer the title:
"When I get a little money, I buy books. If I have any left, I buy food and clothes." 
~ ? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Freeze

The tumbling waters of the stream Swirl around rocks and fallen trees; Leaves tumble over and water skaters teem, Before the winter c...